Games
You may Have As much as 2,000 Friends At the PS4, And Other Fun Facts About Sony’s New Console
Posted on September 6, 2013 at 11:02 am
Science says you’re able to only have 150 friends. Anymore beyond that’s impossible. Don’t tell that to Sony though as it’s planning on letting you will have a couple of thousand at the PS4.
In a brand new video from PlayStation Access, Sony revealed that the PS4 will support as much as 2,000 friends. At the PS3, gamers were restricted to 100 friends. It’s doubtful that lots of people were running into trouble with the 100 players max friend list, but it’s nice to grasp that Sony could be supporting your unhealthy habit of accepting friend requests from every body you play with.
Having that many friends is quite pointless, however, in the event you can’t consult with them all. Thankfully, Sony says that the PS4 will support party chat for such occasions. In other words, you’ll be ready to confer with friends whatever the game they’re playing.
In the above video, Sony reiterated that online multiplayer seriously isn’t free at the PS4. You will want a PlayStation Plus account to play online, but online apps like Netflix and party chat will remain available to PS4 owners and not using a Plus account.
As for other details, Sony says that the PS4 will only be available in jet black at launch, and that it won’t support the DualShock 3. Additionally they detail the hardware found contained in the PlayStation Camera.
The PS4 continues to be slated to launch later this year, however the exact date remains elusive. Some have suggested that the retail PS4′s recent go through the FCC ensures an early launch, but I wouldn’t be so sure. We’re probably going to peer both next-generation consoles launch in November, but i’d be glad to be wrong.
Posted in Games
Load Up Your Nintendo eShop Account And Get A refund
Posted on September 6, 2013 at 6:11 am
There are some big Nintendo games coming over the following couple of months. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and Wind Waker HD will all be coming to the Wii U this autumn. Nintendo wants you to load up your wallet to prepare, and they’re offering you cash to do it.
Through July 28, in case you add between $50 and $99 in your eShop account, you will get a $5 promotional code. Add greater than $100, and you will earn yourself $10. Codes can be delivered on August 2 (two days before Pikmin 3 arrives).
This is for Wii U only, but when you’re looking for some free cash for the 3DS, Nintendo and Atlus are still running their Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei promotion. Buy them both and you may earn yourself $30.
[Source: Nintendo]
Our Take
Smart move, Nintendo. This not just incentives people to decide to eShop purchases, but it surely is a great strategy to promote upcoming titles. It is also wise for them to incorporate Rayman Legends at the page, giving people a reminder that it was originally designed for the Wii U. This is often two intelligent promotions in a truly short period, and that i hope it marks a brand new strategy for the corporate.
Posted in Games
Square Enix Sneaks Port Of Mobile RPG Chaos Rings Onto Vita
Posted on September 5, 2013 at 9:49 am
If you’re an RPG fan with a Vita, Square Enix has just a little surprise for you. Previously only announced for a Japanese release, Chaos Rings is currently available at the North American PlayStation Store.
The story is told in four parts, with players following different couples thrown into an arena to fight for his or her lives. Magic and stat boosting is handled through a “gene” system, and using the loot from fallen foes enhances their utility through the years.
Chaos Rings is obtainable now for PlayStation Mobile and PlayStation Vita for $7.99.
[Source: PlayStation Blog]
Our Take
I’ve almost purchased Chaos Rings half a dozen times for my iPhone and always held off for one reason or another. At once, I’m glad I did. I’m anticipating giving this a try on my Vita sometime very soon.
Posted in Games
Splinter Cell: Blacklist’s “Spies vs. Mercs” Multiplayer Detailed in New Video
Posted on September 5, 2013 at 5:19 am
With the online game industry holding its collective breath for the start of a brand new console generation, the sport release schedule for August looks pretty sparse. One major game is coming later within the month, however, and Ubisoft isn’t about to let gamers forget it.
The publisher today released the newest new video for Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The sport will see Sam Fisher all over again return to wetwork in Ubisoft’s last big current-generation release, excluding Rayman Legends.
Aside from the one-player experience of dispatching terrorists, Blacklist will feature the return of the well-liked “Spies vs. Mercs” multiplayer mode. The mode was teased in a quick trailer one month ago. Today’s trailer shows nearly nine full minutes of Spies vs. Mercs gameplay, with Blacklist developers showing off the spy side of the sport. A second video, featuring mercenary gameplay, was promised.
Posted in Games
GDC Organizers Now Taking Submissions For 2014 Conference
Posted on September 4, 2013 at 10:30 am
The organizers behind the yearly Game Developers Conference are actually taking submissions for the imminent 2014 event. If you are fascinated with presenting a lecture, roundtable discussion, or panel at GDC 2014, you’ve until the tip of August to submit your idea.
The event contains several different tracks on the topic of the sport industry, including audio, business, marketing and management, design, production, programming, and visible arts. Proposed content is reviewed by an advisory board featuring Square Enix’s Julien Merceron, PS4 architect and veteran game designer Mark Cerny, Media Molecule’s Siobhan Reddy, and Canabalt creator Adam Saltsman. Two new members have joined the advisory board to boot. Christina Coffin comes from a technical background, where she worked on games including Ultima Online, Assassin’s Creed II, and Battlefield 3. Chelsea Howe worked at Zynga, and is now a senior game designer at TinyCo.
“Our continuing goal with the GDC is to be the nexus of game design creativity and innovation, bringing compelling and practical sessions to our attendees,” said Meggan Scavio, general manager of GDC events. “The additions of the amazing Christina Coffin and Chelsea Howe to the 2014 advisory board are particularly exciting, as both women bring deep experience designing and programming a large choice of games, and they’re going to ensure even greater diversity in GDC programming that reflects a few of the fastest growing sectors of the industry, like social, mobile, and independent game development.”
Submissions may be accepted until August 29. Visit the official site for additional info. GDC 2014 shall be held from March 17-21 in San Francisco.
Our Take
A conference without content is barely a crowd. Fortunately, GDC organizers has been packing the development with insightful panels and discussions for greater than 20 years. In case you are within the industry and you’ve got something interesting to mention in your peers, prepare a submission – everyone benefits from sharing information and perspective.
Posted in Games
Inspect These Adorable Pikmin 3 Ads
Posted on September 4, 2013 at 6:18 am
Nintendo’s Pikmin are all types of adorable. They’re also super mischievous. Nintendo UK capitalizes in this particular talent in its latest ad for Pikmin 3.
If anything, this ad is way more entertaining than the U.S. ad. Sure, our ad focuses more at the gameplay, however it just lacks a few of that Nintendo magic. Thankfully, Nintendo of America totally nailed it with its ad for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
Of course, nothing may be quite nearly as good as Japan’s Pikmin 3 ad. It’s just way too adorable:
Pikmim 3 launches on August 4 exclusively for Wii U. Nintendo recently announced a promotion for the title which will let fans play the sport on August 3 in the event that they pre-order the digital version of Pikmin 3 from participating GameStop locations.
Posted in Games
Guy Hacks Contra to Propose to His Girlfriend
Posted on September 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm
On the list of NES games I played absolutely the hell out of once I was a child, the run-and-shoot classic Contra is pretty high up there. And if you’re like me, this could make you are feeling all warm and fuzzy.
Some guy (redditor Equinn0xX) recently hacked Contra and used it to propose to his girlfriend. “I hacked Contra because she’s worth it,” he says. Aww.
“This is how I did it. Briefly, i purchased Contra, dumped the ROM, hex edited the file, flashed it to a brand new ROM chip and soldered all of it back together. Took some work but worth it. I changed player names to ours and in addition changed the ending text to invite her once she beat the sport. She said yes! And to the purists who cringe after they see a hacked up cart…relax, it was for an excellent cause!” he says.
The game played normally – aside from the change in player names. The sole difference was the ending screen that displayed once his girlfriend beat the sport:
Hats off, man.
[Images via EquinnoxX, Imgur]
Posted in Games
Epic & NVIDIA Bring Unreal Engine 4 To Mobile
Posted on September 3, 2013 at 5:20 am
At the SIGGRAPH tech conference, Epic Games showed off its Unreal Engine 4 on NVIDIA’s next-generation Logan mobile GPU.
The Logan processor features Kepler GPU architecture that’s featured in PCs today, and which Epic has used for its previous Unreal Engine 4 demos just like the Infiltrator one shown above.
Also, the SIGGRAPH demo ran on OpenGL 4.3 – a feature set that Tim Sweeney, Epic CEO and technical director, says “brings to mobile devices an analogous high-end graphics hardware capabilities exposed via DirectX 11 on PC games and on next-generation consoles.”
[Source: Epic Games]
Our Take
I’m not a tech expert, but you do not have to be to determine the possibility of mobile once you combine Epic’s engine with an impressive GPU and tools. Epic defined this console generation with the industry’s wide usage of Unreal Engine 3, and if Unreal Engine 4 is simply as adopted and Logan is that this capable, shall we see some unbelievable-looking mobile games coming our way.
Posted in Games
Another ‘The Bureau: XCOM Declassified’ Live-Action Trailer Released
Posted on September 2, 2013 at 10:50 am
The release of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is lower than a month away now, and 2K Games is focusing its marketing on a chain of cryptic live-action trailers. Earlier this week, 1/2 a trailer was released, with the events of the second one half the trailer dependent upon fans tweeting whether or not they wanted the clip’s character to seize a gun or a bottle of booze (they selected the booze).
Today, another trailer starring Dominic Monaghan (Merry within the Lord of the Rings movies and the man from Drive Shaft in Lost) as Agent Cole have been released. This time, rather then sitting at a desk and dramatically using a typewriter, Cole is inside the field and in over his head. He reports back to his commander that he’s “spotted one,” presumably relating an extraterrestrial. By the tip of the clip, the fate of Cole is entirely unclear.
The Bureau will hit stores on August 23. Though the sport is a 3rd-person shooter set throughout the 60s of the XCOM series, it also incorporates a “battle focus” mode that introduces several tactical elements seen in last year’s XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Posted in Games
Retro/Grade Creator Building A wholly Different Experience With Neverending Nightmares
Posted on September 2, 2013 at 9:22 am
Matt Gilgenbach, the creator of Retro/Grade, the backwards-rhythm-side-scrolling-shooter, goes in an exceptionally different direction for his next title.
Neverending Nightmares is horror title designed by Gilgenbach as a metaphor for his personal struggles with depression. In an interview with Polygon about his newly announced game, Gilgenbach said, “I’m explicitly sharing something about my experience and the horrors which have form of popped into my head. To the players it won’t be clear that, ‘Oh, that’s an intrusive thought that the developer had.’ The theme and the mood are really what I’m looking to capture essentially the most of what I experience.”
You can take a look at the teaser trailer for the disturbing game below, that is in stark contrast to Gilgenbach’s Retro/Grade.
[Via: Polygon]
Our Take
Gilgenbach is putting a number of himself and his personal experience into Neverending Nightmares, that is a trend in game design that could only benefit games being taken seriously as a medium of artistic expression. I’m curious to be told more concerning the game. Retro/Grade is a really different game in almost every aspect, however it was an awesome game. Retro/Grade makes me hopeful that Neverending Nightmares will aspire to a stronger level of quality than the somewhat comparable game, Papo & Yo, which had some shortcomings despite interesting themes.
Posted in Games